Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Infernal plastic doo-dads

All I wanted to do last week was buy a shirt. I went from rack to rack at the Fred Meyer (Kroger), picking up one shirt here, another there, one from over there, and so on. And when I had all my options in hand, I couldn't help but marvel at the unnecessary use of those little zip-ties they use to attach the price tags, manufacturer tags and Sale tag. Not to mention the plastic stickers that advertise, redundantly, the size, special features and fiber composition.

One shirt, though, stood out from the others by using no plastic doo-dads at all: a short sleeved, organic linen/cotton shirt by Great Northwest, which I believe is the Fred Meyer in-store brand. The single tag was made from recycled paper, and attached with a piece of biodegradable twine. Oh, and FORTY PERCENT OFF, because I can smell a bargain from a long way away.



Look Ma, no plastic

Appropriately, the shirt's color is green.

Now I'm waiting for someone to come up with a plastic-free, nylon-free, foam-free bicycle helmet. That will be a neat trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment